About Me

My photo
Boston, MA, United States

Sunday, April 5, 2009

What's that smell?!?!?!

I have been here for a little over 48 hours and there are no signs of culture shock. Maybe it's because of all the Asian movies, tv shows and documentaries I watch. Shanghai is pretty modern though. I've seen many familiar brands including Best Buy, KFC, Papa Johns, Dairy Queen, Starbucks and the ever popular McDonald's. It actually feels like being in New York's China Town...just on a grander scale. Some things do stick out though. I'll try and do a separate blog about those.

Today I went to Zhongshan Park, which is about 2 blocks away from the apartment. Apparently Sunday is a day for people to gather in the park because it was pretty crowded. There were vendors selling all sorts of goodies. I bought some cotton candy for Y5, which is less than $1 but I think the guy charged me more than usual. When someone else came up and asked the price (in Chinese) he wouldn't answer until I walked away. Oh well. It was still a lot less than I would have spent in the States. There were also people selling little bunnies, chicks and hamsters on carts. They were so cute. When the police came in blowing whistles they all scattered but returned soon after the cops left. There were also the usual fair-like items: balloons, silly toys for kids and bouncers. You could also chose to ride along in little boats along the pond or separate bumper boats equipped with water guns. It looks like fun but I'm not too interested in being splashed with city pond water.

Yesterday while walking into the mall I caught a whiff of something that smelled like a chicken being burned with all its feathers on. My cousin wanted to know how I would even know what that smelled like but that was the picture that came to mind as soon as I inhaled. Today I smelled it again and if you don't have any idea what a chicken smells like when being burned alive let me just say it's a stench you don't want to experience. I can't explain it better than that. I finally deduced it was sticky tofu being fried. G-R-O-S-S! I'll probably try it soon. LOL!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Nice blog. my brother lives in japan teaching English, and while I have never been to China, I have been to Tokyo and some southern cities in Japan. It is such a different atmosphere once you get away from all the Americanized things a city would have.

    ReplyDelete