Today I had noodles for lunch. My chopstick skills are not what they should be. Usually I start my meal with them, get frustrated and pick up my fork. I can't do that here. There are NO forks. Needless to say it took me quite a while to finish eating. I could only manage one noddle at a time. It was a poor sight to witness. I'm sure people were making fun of the stupid foreigner. I will get better though! Or so I'm hoping.
After eating I had the most delicious dessert. It's the reason I came to China. Ha ha. It's shaved ice with various toppings and milk. I've had it in the states many times but nothing could have prepared me for how delicious it is here. The place we went to had a bunch of toppings: mango, red bean, green lentil, peanuts, strawberry, etc. My cousin got strawberry and I had mango. You can't tell from the pic but there is shaved ice below. Tomorrow I think I'll try the red bean. Mmmmmm....

Chopsticks are very hard to master!!! But, it is good because then you eat slower...I think we as Americans tend to shovel everything into our mouths without savoring it. In Asian countries, chopsticks give us a chance to slow down (not always on purpose!)and taste the food rather than just swallowing it straight to our stomachs
ReplyDelete